Well I suppose its time for an update, today we rounded up an 8×14 Birch snare drum, too be finished with an orange to rootbeer satin! and also my brothers snare drum witch is an Ovangkol 5.5×14 snare drum to be finished in Satin.
Well, the snow has fallen and winter is officially here so drum building is in full swing again. Today we made more progress on the floor tom and we are starting to really think hard about our milling jig, we’re going to get a proper jig welded up with dials and fancy knobs, so today we milled the drum down with the router on top and i must say this is the way to do it. I have been fooling around with “mirror” finishes and that’s coming along nicely also been messing about with wood dye that is some potent stuff!! Got a nice pie of Purple Heart for a future snare drum and finally organized our drum parts. All in all it was a good productive day, enjoy some photos:
got the 16 x 16 floor tom glued up today, it brought up a number of challenges though. All i can say is make sure you select your wood better than we did, we ended up taking alot of material off with the plainer and jointer today. All things considered we did end up with a pretty nice shell with very minimal gaps, we will spin this one down next weekend and hopfully glue up the 12″ rack tom, here’s some pics of the progress today