Finally we located a decently priced metal lathe, currently we are milling solid brass tube lugs for our future snares. We recently started building segmented wood hoops and I’ve been screen printing some new hoodies, Still not finished my kit but you know…. it takes time to make beautiful wood crafts.
Well, the snow has fallen and winter is officially here so drum building is in full swing again. Today we made more progress on the floor tom and we are starting to really think hard about our milling jig, we’re going to get a proper jig welded up with dials and fancy knobs, so today we milled the drum down with the router on top and i must say this is the way to do it. I have been fooling around with “mirror” finishes and that’s coming along nicely also been messing about with wood dye that is some potent stuff!! Got a nice pie of Purple Heart for a future snare drum and finally organized our drum parts. All in all it was a good productive day, enjoy some photos:
YESS.. we got some time to get together again and build!! it started with failure but ended in success originally we set out to build just a 20×22 bass drum but our bevel cut was out by .2 of a degree so over 40 cuts we added 8 deg. to our circle.. oh well adjust the saw and re-cut the staves for a rack tom (12 x 12) and while were at it, make another snare with the left over bass drum woods ( 14 x 7) so after every thing was said and done it did end up being a productive day see for yourself: